I’m trying to “over-blog” a bit to make up for the fact that I won’t be blogging while I’m in Vegas-sorry, but I’m not sorry that I’ll be too busy having fun in Vegas to blog. If I’m not dead you all might get a post out of my on the plane ride home (Virgin America has free wi-fi on all of their planes-how cool is that?) but don’t get your hopes up.
Anyways. Back to the point. I happen to be making one of my all time favorite dinners tonight and I am going to share the recipe with you! It was coined “Whitney’s Chicken Pastry Thingy” by my friend and co-worker Katherine. I have shared this recipe with a lot of my friends and co-workers and have had a lot of fun seeing how they change the “stuffing”. It’s a great recipe on its own, but it is so versatile and easily adaptable-that’s one of the best things about it. This recipe is great for those on a budget because there aren’t a lot of ingredients, and it makes a perfect 4 servings, so if you’re in a 2 person household you will have the perfect amount left over for lunch tomorrow!
I love to cook/bake/eat so prepare yourself for lots of recipes on this blog-but I must say, this is one of my favorites! Enjoy!
Whitney’s Chicken Pastry Thingy
- Chicken (I use the pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store because its quick and delicious, but sautéed chicken breasts cut up into little pieces will work just as well)
- 8 oz cream cheese (I use the chive and onion variety for a little extra yum)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 egg (for egg wash-feel free to use just the egg whites if you’re counting calories)
- 1 box Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry sheets (contains 2 sheets)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp butter (or olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil (I usually spray with some cooking spray for extra protection against stickyness) Take your puff pastries out of box to come to room temperature.
- Heat butter in sauté pan until melted. As butter melts chop up your onion. Add onion to butter and caramelize-this takes about 5-10 minutes depending on how soft you want your onions
- On a cutting board prepare your puff pastries by cutting each in half horizontally making four pastry rectangles.
- In the middle of each pastry rectangle spread 2 oz of cream cheese
- Cut up your chicken breasts or shred your rotisserie and place on top of cream cheese in each rectangle
- Top each rectangle with caramelized onions.
- Now to close the pastries! To close your pastries pull the left side of the pastry up and over all the toppings in the middle (your toppings should all be grouped in the middle of the pastry). Now pull the right side of the pastry up over the middle and the left side of the pastry. Pinch on the sides and the seam in the middle to lock all the delicious cream cheesy-ness in the middle.
- Beat your egg (or egg white) and brush entirely over all four pastries. Top each pastry with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place each pastry on the baking sheet and place in heated oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven LET COOL the innards are very hot! and Enjoy!
- Feel free to pass this along to your friends!
Thanks for reading! xo Whitney