Another Sunday Dinner recipe coming your way! This one is for Orecchiette with Hot Italian Sausage…yum! This is similar to a dish I LOVE from my summer spent in Italy. Traditionally this pasta dish is served with hot or sweet italian sausage and broccoli rabe, but since I don’t like broccoli rabe (or any time of boccoli-woof) I’ve mixed it up a bit! I also like the kick that comes from the hot sausage as opposed to the sweet, but I will say, the sweet is delicious as well. Enjoy!
Orecchiette with Hot Italian Sausage
Active Time: 30 mins
- 1 bag orecchiette pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound hot Italian-style sausage, casings removed (I used the kind in the butcher’s section in my local grocery store)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Shallots, slices
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- When sausage is cooked through (about 8 minutes) drain off some (but not all!) of the juices.
- Add shallots and saute until soft, about 5 minutes (add more EVOO at this point if needed)
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Be careful not to let it burn as it will turn bitter.
- Once water boils add the orecchiette and cook until tender stirring occasionally. (10 minutes for al dente, 12 minutes if you like your pasta a little softer like me!)
- Add the pasta to skillet and toss with sausage mixture. Toss with 1 tbsp EVOO
- Salt and pepper to taste. Top with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- Oh ya, and enjoy!
I would love to hear how it goes if you try the recipe and if you make any changes! Thanks for reading! xo Whitney